Admission to the Rhode Island Bar
The Rhode Island Bar Examination is administered by the Bar Administrator and the Board of Bar Examiners the last Tuesday and Wednesday of February and July each year. The deadline for the February examination is December 1st; the deadline for the July examination is May 1st. There is no provision for late filing.
All applicants are permitted to use a laptop for the essay portions of the examination (Tuesday) at no additional cost. This service is strictly optional but applicants wishing to use a laptop must register directly with ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc. by the registration deadline. A representative from ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc. will be onsite during the essay portions of the exam to assist laptop users. For more information, please visit the ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc. website at www.examsoft.com. The use a laptop is highly recommended for applicants whose handwriting is illegible.
Questions relating to the Rhode Island Bar Examination should be directed to the Bar Administrator at email@example.com.APPLICATION
Applicants for admission pursuant to Article II, Rule 1 must submit the following to the Bar Administrator at the above address:
- Twenty-three (23) page Petition/Questionnaire for Admission to the Rhode Island Bar.
- Certificate of Dean/Administrator of Law School.
- Certified Transcript.
- Handwriting Sample form.
- Two (2) Certificates of Good Moral Character.
- Employer Verification Forms from every employer where you worked full or part-time longer than six (6) months since turning twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Background checks from all states lived in for six (6) months or more since turning eighteen (18) years old. Click here for a list of criminal records repositories.
- Current credit report from one of these three (3) providers: Transunion, Experian, or Equifax (responsibility of applicant to submit credit report with the application).
- Check in the amount of $600.00 made payable to the Committee on Character and Fitness.
- Application for Special Testing Accommodations/Forms, if applicable (it is the responsibility of the applicant to submit these forms with the Petition/Questionnaire by the application deadline.)
The Dean Certificate, Certified Transcripts, Certificates of Good Moral Character, and Employment Verification Forms must be forwarded directly to the Committee on Character and Fitness from the individuals who complete the forms.
Click here to view frequently asked questions.
All applicants are subject to the Rhode Island Bar Examination Regulations and Code of Conduct. Violations may result in the applicant being ejected from the bar examination.